What does a DOT physical consist of in Texas?
DOT physicals are an essential requirement for commercial drivers in Texas to ensure they are fit to operate commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) safely.
Your DOT Physical Exam in Texas
- Comprehensive medical examination by a CME. Our NRCME, Dr. Sletten, is the best!
- Review of medical history, chronic conditions, surgeries, and medications
- Assessment of general health and vital signs (blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate)
- Vision tests for visual acuity, peripheral vision, and color vision
- Hearing tests to ensure proper hearing ability
- Urine test to screen for medical conditions and detect substance abuse
- Review and completion of necessary documentation
- Regular evaluations to maintain compliance and ensure safety on the road
What Does A DOT Physical Consist Of?
- The DOT physical begins with a comprehensive medical examination conducted by a certified medical examiner (CME) who is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- The examiner will review your medical history, including any chronic conditions, previous surgeries, or medications.
- They will evaluate your general health, assess vital signs (such as blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory rate), and perform a physical examination.
Vision and Hearing Assessments:
- As part of the DOT physical, your vision and hearing will be tested to ensure you meet the required standards for operating a CMV.
- Visual acuity, peripheral vision, and color vision tests will be conducted to evaluate your ability to see clearly and distinguish colors effectively.
- A hearing test, which may include audiometry, will assess your hearing ability to ensure you can hear warning signals and communicate effectively while on the road.
- A urine test is typically required as part of the DOT physical to screen for underlying medical conditions and detect the presence of controlled substances or illegal drugs.
- The test will be performed to check for conditions such as diabetes, kidney function, and potential substance abuse, which could impact your ability to safely operate a CMV.
Review of Documentation:
- Our NRCME will review and complete the necessary documentation, including the Medical Examination Report (MER) form and Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC).
- If you have any medical conditions that require further evaluation or monitoring, our NRCME may request additional medical records or specialist reports.
DOT Physical Exams in Houston, Texas
A DOT physical exam in Texas consists of a comprehensive medical examination, vision and hearing assessments, a urine test, and a review of documentation. It is crucial for commercial drivers to undergo these examinations regularly to ensure they meet the health standards required to operate CMVs safely. At Wellness Heights OccMed Services, our certified medical examiners are dedicated to conducting thorough DOT physicals, providing professional and reliable services to help you maintain compliance and ensure safety on the road.
Your DOT Physical Exam in Texas
Schedule your DOT physical with Wellness Heights OccMed Services today and ensure that you meet the necessary health requirements to operate a commercial motor vehicle in Houston, Texas. Contact us now to book your appointment and take the first step towards a successful and compliant driving career.
2136 Yale Street, Ste B
Houston, TX 77008
Monday – Friday: 8:45 AM – 3:30 PM
Saturday by appointment